Good news, folks! I will be interning in Mombasa at the Wema Centre. The Wema Centre is a rehabilitation center for street kids, and it provides both formal and nonformal education, vocational training, food, shelter, medical care, and counseling. My biggest role will be teaching reading and writing to youth ages 9-13 as well as conducting outreach among community children with the social workers. For more information about the organization, visit www.wemacentre.org. I'm excited to finally know what I am doing and where I will be! It seems I won't be very rural, as Mombasa is a decently sized city, but most Kiswahili is spoken on the coast, so being there should help my language skills quite a bit.
I also learned a little bit about my host family in Mombasa, and I am very excited about that as well. I'll get to experience a bigger culture change, as my family is Muslim, and I'll have four host siblings ranging in age from 2 to 16. I'm really looking forward to the internship portion of the program now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment